Skip to main content

This is the new Parminster Council website – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Parminster bin charging questions and answers

Why have the Council introduced a charge for wheeled bins for new occupants?

Parminster Council spends in excess of £60,000 each year on bins. As with all other local authorities, the Council has experienced severe budget cuts and is having to make difficult decisions about the cost of service provision. 

What happens when I move into a new or converted* property?

If the set of three bins are present, there is no need to do anything. If:

  • you are moving into a Housing Association property – Contact the Housing Association to find out if they pay for your bins. If they do not, contact the developer to find out if they pay for your bins
  • you are moving into a privately rented property – Contact your landlord to find out if they pay for your bins. If they do not, contact the developer to find out if they pay for your bins;

If you are buying your property – Contact the developer to find out if they pay for your bins.

If the Housing Association, private landlord or developer is not paying for your bins, then you are liable for the £174 charge. Please contact the Council’s Customer Services Team on 0234589609 to arrange for the payment and delivery of the wheeled bins.

*A converted property refers to a property which has been converted from a non domestic property to a domestic property

Why are some developers paying the charges and others are not?

The option over whether to pay the charge or not lies with each individual developer.

I am moving to a new or converted flat with shared bins, what do I do?

If there is no communal bin area, please follow the advice as per above for houses.

If there is a communal bin area please, contact Customer Services to advise them you are moving in. (A survey will be required to determine the capacity for bin storage and the most suitable configuration of bins for your property, you will then be advised of the payment required).

What if I have built a new or converted house myself?

If you have built a new property or converted a non domestic building into a domestic property(s) you are liable for the charge. Please contact the Council to arrange for the payment and delivery of the wheeled bins.
How do I pay?

Payment is required in advance of the delivery of bins and can be made by debit or credit card, which is the quickest way to pay and to receive your bins. If this is not possible you can pay by cheque, but may incur a longer waiting time for delivery. A receipt for payment will be provided.

Can I pay in part payments?

Unfortunately, the Council cannot accept part payment.

What will happen if I refuse to pay for the wheeled bins?

If you chose not to pay for the wheeled bins, the Council will not collect your waste and you will need to make alternative arrangements for disposal.

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, Parminster Council has a legal obligation to collect household waste but can specify the containers that need to be used. A legal notice could be served on householders requiring waste to be presented in council provided bins.

Waste is only collected from bins provided by the Council.

Can I appeal or complain about the charge?

The charge for wheeled bins has been agreed as Council policy. You may wish to raise your concerns with your local ward Councillor. 

Will I have to sign for delivery of the receptacles?

No. However if you are not at home when we deliver the containers, we will leave the bins with an address label attached to identify the correct address.

Please note that the Council cannot be held responsible for any item going missing if it is delivered in your absence.

Can I collect the wheeled bins from the Council?

No. It is the Council’s responsibility for delivering its wheeled bins.

Can I buy my bins from somewhere else?

No. The Council will only empty wheeled bins which have been supplied by Parminster Council.

Can I pay for additional bins?

No, the Council only provide three wheeled bins per property.

What happens if my wheeled bin goes missing or is broken?

We will attempt to repair the bin, and if this is not possible then we will issue a replacement bin. There is no charge for this.

Can I take my wheeled bins with me when I move house?

No. Wheeled bins remain the property of Parminster Council and must remain at the property they have been issued to. If you are moving to an existing property (rather than a new property) the set of three bins will already be available at the property. If they are not, please contact the Council to arrange for delivery of the bins. There is no charge for this. 

Why doesn’t my Council tax cover the cost of the bins?

The cost of the collection and disposal of your waste is included within your Council Tax, but the cost for the bins themselves is not.

Will everybody have to pay the same?

Yes. There are no concessions for elderly residents or those in receipt of benefits.

I need bins but I am unable to pay.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to provide wheeled bins unless payment is made, so you will need to make alternative arrangements to dispose of your waste.

Alternative waste arrangements

Recycling Banks

Recycling banks are located throughout the county, and materials which can be recycled here are:

  • paper
  • tins and cans
  • glass bottles and jars
  • plastic bottles
  • textiles
  • small electrical items

Please contact Customer Services for further information on the location of the banks located within the Parminster County area.

Fly Tipping

Fly Tipping is the illegal deposit of waste, and is a serious criminal offence which carries a fine of up to £50,000, or in very serious cases imprisonment.

For further information please visit